TOWER BRIDGE WINS GOLD AT UK’S GREEN TOURISM AWARDS
- Tower Bridge wins gold accreditation in UK Green Tourism Awards 2022, one of five London attractions to be awarded the top tier certification
- With a score of 85%, Tower Bridge receives one of the highest ratings achieved in the Green Tourism assessment.
- Rewarded in recognition of their ongoing commitment to becoming more sustainable, the award is part of a drive to reduce the attraction-wide carbon footprint
- For further images or information contact email@example.com
London’s defining landmark has been awarded gold at the Green Tourism Awards 2022 – one of only five London attractions to be awarded the prized accolade.
Considered one of the leading sustainable tourism certificate schemes in the UK, the Green Tourism Awards recognises the commitment of attractions actively working to become more sustainable. Acknowledged worldwide as the hallmark of ‘green quality’, the awards are an indicator of best environmentally friendly practice within the tourism industry.
Judges were particularly impressed by the landmark’s:
- Extensive staff training in equality, diversity, and inclusivity
- Accessibility guide and facilities
- Commitment to the needs of customers and staff’s wellbeing
- Ranking of sustainability as a top five priority for staff
- Current carbon data and adhering to the City of London Corporation’s climate action strategy which commits it to achieving net zero carbon for its own operations by 2027 and to supporting the achievement of net zero for the Square Mile as a whole by 2040
Part of a renewed drive in 2021 to make Tower Bridge more sustainable, a Green Team was established to help reduce the attractions’ impact on the environment and local community in line with the Green Tourism assessment criteria. Just some examples of steps taken to reduce the wider carbon footprint include:
- Eco friendly gift ranges available in the shop, including reusable bottles and cans, biodegradable carrier bags made from potato starch and products sourced from companies with a proven environmental commitment and sustainable policies.
- Promoting attraction wide awareness of sustainability in the workplace and at home via online learning and green-minded ideas suggestion boxes.
- Installing energy efficient and biodegradable products across both private and public facing facilities
- Ensuring 100% of the attraction’s general waste is diverted from landfill to South East London Combined Heat and Power (SELCHP) facility for incineration and conversion to renewable energy (heat, electricity) for SE London.
Chris Earlie, Head of Tower Bridge said: “I speak on behalf of the entire team at Tower Bridge in saying we are delighted with the outcome of this assessment. To enter the scheme at Gold level is testament to the efforts of everyone at the Bridge in striving towards this accreditation – but also the high standards already in place at Tower Bridge in the context of climate action and sustainability.”
Andrea Nicholas, Green Tourism CEO said: “We were impressed with the level of commitment of the Tower Bridge team in implementing a wide range of measures that are improving their business and serving the needs of their customers, and their staff. Achieving a Gold Award with such a high score demonstrates that they are a leader in sustainability - and an ambassador for visitor attractions.”
Euan Haggart, Green Tourism Environment and Sustainability Assessor said: “Tower Bridge has achieved an outstanding score - especially for the ‘People’ goal, for their commitment to community projects, and to the health and well-being of visitors and staff. Their attention to the needs of visitors who require some extra assistance is exemplary.”
For further information, images or interview requests please contact:
T: +44 (0)7867 335 242 / +44 (0) 7796 881 175
Notes to editor:
Tower Bridge (http://www.towerbridge.org.uk/)
- Tower Bridge was the creation of architect Sir Horace Jones and civil engineer Sir John Wolfe Barry. It took eight years to complete and was officially opened on 30 June 1894 by the Prince and Princess of Wales (the future King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra)
- In 1982 Tower Bridge opened as a visitor attraction to the public for the first time since 1910. Since then, visitor number have grown annually with approx. 850,000 visiting in 2019, which was the 125th anniversary since it the opening back in 1894.
- Tower Bridge opening hours are from 09:30 – 18:00 with last entry at 17:00.
- The Tower Bridge Community Ticket invites residents of Southwark, Tower Hamlets and the City of London to visit for £1 only.
- Admission prices for Tower Bridge:
- Adults: £11.40
- Children aged 5-15: £5.70
- Concessions: £8.60
- Family tickets from £19.38
- Under 5s free
- The nearest underground stations are London Bridge or Tower Hill
- Visit the iconic Glass Floor on the high-level Walkways, which gives visitors a unique perspective of London 42 metres above the Thames. Visitors are able to tread on the glass floor panels whilst traffic passes beneath their feet. It can withstand the weight equivalent to one elephant or two London Black Cabs.
- Tower Bridge received a Visit England Welcome Accolate for 2021-22. Following the Gold Accolade in both 2018 and 2019. These awards recognise quality visitor experiences on offer and is awarded to attractions that go the extra mile to provide a high-quality day out.
- Tower Bridge is supported and managed by Bridge House Estates (BHE) whose Trustee is The City of London Corporation.
- Tower Bridge is London’s defining landmark and is a proud supporter of the BHE’s charitable arm, City Bridge Trust, generating over £6m a year, which goes towards helping charitable causes across London.
About the Green Tourism Awards
Green Tourism is a world-leading sustainability accreditation programme with over 2500 members across the tourism and hospitality industry. For over 25 years, Green Tourism has advised and supported businesses in driving growth through operating more sustainably – for the benefit of people, places, and our planet.
TWITTER - @GreenTourismUK - https://twitter.com/GreenTourismUK
FACEBOOK - @green.tourism.uk - https://www.facebook.com/green.tourism.uk/
INSTAGRAM - greentourism - https://www.instagram.com/greentourism/
LINKEDIN - Green Tourism - https://www.linkedin.com/company/green-tourism-business-scheme