TOWER BRIDGE INVITES FAMILIES TO CELEBRATE 125TH BIRTHDAY
- Tower Bridge to host a series of family-friendly themed eventsto mark 125thanniversary
- Special admission entry offer of £1.25 to Tower Bridge on 29 and 30 June available for all visitors when purchased on the day, including exclusive souvenir bookmark
- From a chance to ‘Meet the Victorians’ and an exclusive Big Birthday Bash, the events – part of a year long programme – pay homage to London’s defining landmark with a number of FREE family activities
- For more information on the 125 family events visit: towerbridge.org.uk/125
Officially opened on 30 June 1894, London’s best-loved landmark invites YOU to join in its 125thbirthday celebrations.
Part of a year long programme of themed events, Tower Bridge invites families to explore 125 years of the Bridge through exciting storytelling and hands-on arts and crafts. From aerial acrobats to a chance to step back in time and ‘Meet the Victorians’ that once walked the high-level Walkways, the jam-packed season of special family 125-anniversary themed events offer something for everyone throughout 2019.
Happy Birthday Sir Horace
- 20 May – September (inclusive), daily
- FREE with general admission
Celebrate the 200thbirthday of Tower Bridge architect Sir Horace Jones, at his Big Birthday Bash in the historic Engine Rooms. Families are invited to party with the man behind Tower Bridge, featuring games, a birthday activity table, treasure hunt and Victorian photo opportunity.
The Day the Circus Came to Town
- Monday 27 - Tuesday 28 May
- Performances take place at 11:00, 14:00 and 16:00
- Suitable for all ages
- Inclusive with ticket entry
Celebrate the Victorian entertainment of circus when local community arts organisation Agenci take over the Bridge. Showcasing Victorian circus with a contemporary twist, visitors to the Bridge will be met by a Master Storyteller to guide them through the day the circus came to town. Inspired by the movement of the river and the dangerous currents that lie below, watch as acrobats, aerialists and jugglers move, tumble and balance across the Glass Floor, steel girders and accumulator towers of the Bridge.
Tower Bridge – what if?
- Saturday 29 June – Monday 30 September, daily
- Situated on the external piers of Tower Bridge
- Admission FREE
Part of the City of London’s architectural arts programme, Fantastic Feats: The Building of London, Tower Bridge is working with Bermondsey-based All Things Studio to create an outdoor Victorian diorama offering passers-by a glimpse into some of the alternative river crossing designs presented to the City of London’s special committee in 1876. From the fanciful to the downright farcical - the diorama offers an intriguing view into what London’s skyline could have looked like.
Meet the Victorians
- Saturday 29 – Sunday 30 June, daily
- FREE with admission entry
To celebrate the official anniversary weekend, meet the workers, engineers and passers-by that once inhabited Tower Bridge. Taking inspiration from the ever-growing archive of personal histories from the lifetime of the Bridge, costumed actors will perform across the Bridge, bringing the story of the opening weekend to life.
- Saturday 29 – Sunday 30 June, daily
- FREE with general admission, Family Activities Passes accepted
Over the birthday weekend families are invited to recreate the huge flotilla that passed under Tower Bridge on its opening day in 1894, alongside a number of family activities taking place in the Tower Bridge Learning Space.
Josephine Noti, Marketing and Education Manager at Tower Bridge, commented: “Kick-starting the 125th birthday celebrations at the Bridge, our jam-packed families programme provides an opportunity for visitors of all ages to join in the celebrations. The themed events will take families on an exciting journey of discovery across 125-years of the Bridge, showcasing its significance throughout the ages – from the stories of the people behind this best-loved landmark, to the more bizarre original designs for the Bridge.’
Visitors to the attraction can also explore Tower Bridge with an innovative app and activity-packed booklet for 5-10 year olds. This incredible app technology creates a unique visitor experience, offering interactive games and first of a kind features. To download the app visit: https://www.towerbridge.org.uk/familytrailapp/ and App stores.