THE ART OF BANSKY IS SET TO MAKE ITS MARK THIS MAY: THE COUNTDOWN IS ON TO LONDON’S CULTURAL AWAKENING
- The hotly anticipated The Art of Banksy opens next month celebrating the best-loved activist, satirist and art world enfant terrible.
- The UK debut of the internationally acclaimed Banksy collection opens on Thursday 20 May in the heart of Seven Dials, Covent Garden.
- Over 70 pieces confirmed, including the rarely before seen Brace Yourself featuring a dodgem riding Grim Reaper, alongside iconic favourites such as Girl with a Balloon and Rude Copper.
- Tickets on sale now at artofbanksy.co.uk; starting at £21.50 for adults with queue jump tickets available.
- Imagery is available to download here: https://bit.ly/3a9rA8V
The countdown is officially on to London’s cultural re-awakening and The Art of Banksy is at the forefront. With the nation only weeks away from reopening, the wait is finally over for the hotly anticipated show of the spring. Tipped by audiences across globe as one not to be missed, this is the very first time the world’s largest touring exhibition of authentic Banksy Artworks is coming to the UK.
The critically acclaimed showcase features original and authenticated works from one of the most intriguing and talked-about artists in modern history.Confirmed for display are prints, canvasses, screen prints, sculptures, unique works and limited-edition pieces mainly dated between the years 1997 to 2008, the period which resulted in Banksy’s most recognisable and well-known works.
In true Banksy style, The Art of Banksy is not authorised or curated in collaboration with the artist, and like the elusive man himself, the vast 12,000 sq ft underground exhibition space is hidden in plain sight, right at the heart of Seven Dials, Covent Garden.
Across the world, this ground-breaking exhibition boasts over 750,000 global visitors to date. Highlights of its first ever London edition include:
- Three decades of disrupting
Now confirmed to bring together over 70 original works gathered from private collections across the globe, The Art of Banksy will explore highlights from across the 30-year career of the notoriously anonymous artist. From some of the most reproduced images of the decade to lesser-known canvases, the show will showcase rarely seen works to satisfy even the most knowledgeable of Banksy buffs.
- Brace Yourself: This Banksy is Back
The infamous ‘Brace Yourself’ artwork and its dodgem riding Grim Reaper is set to be unveiled in a rarely seen public outing for the painting. Making headlines in 2010 when the work was gifted by Banksy to a band, previously known as ‘Exit Through the Gift Shop’, in exchange for the rights to their name. The piece has been mostly hidden away behind closed doors since its creation over a decade ago. The vast 245 x 182cm work – one of the largest ever created by Banksy - will take centre stage in the exhibition opening.
- Graffi-tea anyone?
Who can resist scones, sandwiches and street art in the heart of Seven Dials? Having spent a year starved of the capital’s culture, The Art of Banksy has partnered with nearby Mercer Street Hotel to finally satisfy the people’s cravings in more way than one. Unique afternoon tea packages are available as the perfect accompaniment to round off a visit to the exhibition.
Michel Boersma, Producer, The Art of Banksy, said:“An artist made by the people, for the people, and perhaps one of the most powerful artists of a generation – this is a one-of-a-kind exhibition that celebrates the work of an artist often ignored by the arts establishment. With over 70 works on display, it’s a real chance to see the best and the brightest of one of the UK’s best-loved artists.”
Sean Sweeney, London Co-Presenter, The Art of Banksy, said: ‘After an unprecedented year that put the capital into a slumber, we are thrilled to be part of the cultural reawakening of London this May. Many of these spectacular pieces live hidden away in private homes, collections and even warehouses. We are acutely aware that the people have been starved of art for over a year, and these works have been missing the public for even longer.
This summer is going to be a momentous time for culture in our capital, and we just can’t wait to open our doors and be part of it.’
The Art of Banksy is supported by Luno, the leading global cryptocurrency company on a mission to upgrade the world to a better financial system.
Book your ticket at artofbanksy.co.uk now.
Notes to Editors
The Art of Banksy has travelled to Melbourne, Amsterdam, Istanbul, Tel Aviv, Auckland, Toronto, Miami, Gothenburg and Sydney, welcoming over 750,000 visitors worldwide.
The Art of Banksy is not authorised by Banksy and is not curated in collaboration with the artist. All artworks are on loan from private collectors.
Luno is a leading global cryptocurrency company on a mission to upgrade the world to a better financial system. Launched in 2013, the company has over 7 million customers spanning over 40 countries. As disruptors themselves, Luno is announced as the leading sponsor of the upcoming The Art of Banksy exhibition.
Luno’s products and services make it safe and easy to buy, sell, store and learn about cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
Download the app here: https://www.luno.com
About Edwardian Hotels London:
Edwardian Hotels London is one of the UK’s largest privately owned hotel groups, which has been operating and developing its hospitality portfolio, including upscale five- and four-star luxury hotels, since Jasminder Singh OBE began his career within the hospitality industry in 1977; forming the beginnings of what would become Edwardian Hotels London.
Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street in partnership with The Art of Banksy
Plan the perfect boutique staycation at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street and enjoy tickets to one of the year’s most anticipated exhibitions: The Art of Banksy. Set just a two-minute walk from the exhibition, the hotel is the ideal spot for waking up to a lazy breakfast before jumping the museum queue and marvelling at Banksy’s works. Make the most of your stay with a lunch or dinner at Monmouth Kitchen, or go boutique-hopping in the wonderful Seven Dials and Covent Garden. Your stay is also inclusive of priority early check-in/out (subject to availability) and exclusive discounted rates on local car parks – perfect if arriving by car.
Book online or call our reservations team on +44 (0) 20 7761 9000, quoting “O-BANKS”
The safety of our customers and staff is our utmost priority, and the exhibition will have the following COVID-19 protocols in place.
- We are limiting numbers so social distancing can be implemented
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your allotted timeslot and our staff will stagger entry
- All customers aged 11 and above must wear a face covering, fully covering the nose and mouth at all times, whilst inside the exhibition
- Contact-free temperature checks will take place as you enter.
- Please use the hand sanitiser provided as you enter the exhibition.
- The exhibition operates on an immersive one-way user journey with separate entry and exit points
- The venue is regularly and professionally cleaned. Our on-site cleaning team regularly sanitises common contact surfaces and toilet facilities.
How to book
Book online now at artofbanksy.co.uk or call 08440 412001
Thursday 20 May 2021 – Sunday November 21 2021
50 Earlham St, West End, London WC2H 9LJ
- Mon/Tue/Wed/Sun 10.00 - 18.00
- Thu/Fri 10.00 - 21.00
- Sat 09.30 - 19.00
- (Last Entry 1 hour before closing)
- General admission weekdays £ 21.50
- General admission weekends £ 24.50
- Concessions weekdays £14.50
- Concessions weekdays £16.50
- Children under 6 Free
- Queue jump ticket (Undated) £29.50
- VIP Tickets* £49.50
* Package includes undated fast track ticket, lanyard, audio guide & tote bag with merchandise.
Follow us on Social
For more information, images, interviews or press tickets, please contact:
Kallaway | email@example.com |