NEW GROUND-BREAKING TECH, AND A TWIST OF STEAMPUNK BLEND TO CREATE JEFF WAYNE’S THE WAR OF THE WORLDS: THE IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE
- Vive Pro Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, haptics and volumetric capture are just some of the ways dotdotdot are creating a tapestry of Martian war-torn England
- A UK first of technology, theatre and sensory simulation
- Live and virtual actors immersed as characters deliver an unforgettable experience to their audiences
Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of The War of The Worlds, the award-winning double album, which has sold out Arenas around the world since 2006, has now been transformed into a contemporary immersive experience by Jeff Wayne in partnership with dotdotdot, creators of SOMNAI, the Gold winner at the London Design Awards in 2018.
Jeff Wayne’s The War of The Worlds: The Immersive Experience officially opened on 31stMay 2019. Visitors encounter a blend of technology, theatre and sensory simulation, the likes of which have never been seen.
The experience is set in HG Wells’ Victorian England - with an added twist of steampunk – at the time of the Martian invasion. Combining exciting modern technologies, such as volumetric capture, groups of 12 people are led through a tapestry of war-torn England, bringing the novel and Jeff Wayne’s musical interpretation to life in ten rooms spread over 22,000 sq ft.
The audience walk, crawl and travel through the experience, as they become part of the action in defending humanity. Experience virtual and augmented reality, holographic projection, live actors, projection mapping theatre, haptic technology, and sensory stimulation to heighten emotional and instinctive responses.
Jeff’s Musical Version, which sold over 16 million double albums for Sony Music since its initial release, has been especially extended for the experience and envelops the audience on their journey. Furthermore, the ambisonic sound rooms and body haptics enable each guest to physically feel the music throughout the experience.
Interactive holograms of real-life actors (featuring Tom Brittney star of ITV’s Grantchester, DavidBurnett of The Mummy (2017 film), Stage and YouTube Star Carrie Hope Fletcher and Anna-Marie Wayne who are reprising their roles as Beth, The Parson’s Wife and Carrie, the Journalist’s wife) enter the VR world alongside guests via detailed volumetric and facial and body motion tracking. Real life motion simulation using procedurally generated water physics and a full surround projection mapped theatre complement the audiences experience.
Room highlights include:
- Horsell Common: The first description of the Martian’s human-incinerating Heat Ray is brought to life via pyrotechnics and live action.
- George’s House: Here the audience meet Peggy, George’s housekeeper, to enjoy biscuits, before things descend into blackness as they feel firsthand the Martians, using haptics and sound design created by Jeff Wayne and Theo Holloway.
- Journey to London: Audience’s grab the survival backpacks for their journey into London with George, donning their Vive Pro VR headsets. [We’ve taken out anything to do w/ avatars as currently these aren’t working properly]
- Dead London:In the final scenes, the audience’s soar over the chaos of the Martian invasion in hot-air balloons over war torn Primrose Hill in virtual reality.
- Brave New World: Audiences are pulled through the Artilleryman’s vision for an underground steampunk metropolis utilising an out-of-body full-dome planetarium experience.
Tickets start from £49.50 and are available to book now at www.dotdot.london. The experience lasts 110 minutes, which includes a 20-minute intermission in the immersive Red Weed Bar.
- ENDS -
Jeff Wayne’s The War of The Worlds: The Immersive Experience
56 Leadenhall Street
The attraction will have a 12+ age restriction.
Notes to Editors
dotdotdot uses Layered Reality to take you to other worlds.
The first experience, SOMNAI was launched in London in March 2018 and received widespread praise for its level of innovation.
Opening in May 2019, Jeff Wayne’s The War of The Worlds: The Immersive Experience is a layered reality multi-sensory immersive experience set across a vast 22,000 sq ft. setting that combines Jeff Wayne’s music, immersive theatre, virtual reality, augmented reality, holograms and other cutting-edge technology.
Each visitor will STEP WITHIN and participate in the story of The War of The Worlds which has inspired and terrified generations. dotdotdot have transformed the story into a pioneering immersive experience for all to enjoy.
About Jeff Wayne
Born in Forest Hills, New York, Jeff Wayne is an award-winning composer, arranger, conductor and producer.
Jeff’s musical interpretation of HG Wells’ ‘The War of The Worlds’ has achieved international acclaim, winning two UK 'Ivor Novello' Awards and the USA’s 'Best Recording in Science Fiction and Fantasy', (with Alfred Hitchcock, George Lucas, and Steven Spielberg judging). With multi-million sales, it’s one of the longest running albums in UK chart history, ranking No 32 in the UK’s favourite albums of all time.
2019 sees a dramatic new virtual reality experience of Jeff’s musical version launching in June within a 22,000+ square feet space at London’s Old Metal Exchange.
For a multi-sensory experience, discoverthe story right from its core as a character and exist within the story from the start, through to the end of the combat.