MONSTERS TAKEOVER CROYDON ROOFTOPS!
Don’t be alarmed if you happen to be walking through Croydon town centre and catch a glimpse of giant monsters towering over rooftops – we’re not being taken over! Croydon BID, working with Designs In Air, bring you Croydon Monster Invasion from 29th September through to 3rd October 2021. The gigantic street art monsters will appear across Croydon town centre at eight locations, creating a trail of curiosity like never seen before in Croydon. The tallest monster will reach a staggering 7.5m in height, some with snarling teeth and others scratching away at the building below. Look up (if you dare!) and you will be greeted by eight brightly coloured, astonishing monsters, dotted across the landscape on many well-known rooftops including:
- AMP House, 4 Dingwall Road, Croydon, CR0 2LX
- Suffolk House, George Street, Croydon, CR9 1SR
- Croydon College, College Road, Croydon, CR9 1DX
- Fairfield halls, Park Lane, Croydon, CR9 1DG
- TMRW, 75-77 High Street, Croydon, CR0 1QE
- Croydon Clocktower, 9 Katherine Street, Croydon, CR0 1NX
- Hewitt’s of Croydon, 45-51 Church Street, Croydon, CR9 1QQ
- Electric House, 3 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR0 2NW
Matthew Sims, Chief Executive of Croydon BID said: “The Croydon Monster Invasion is certainly something different for Croydon. At its core is the wish to bring a smile to people’s faces as they walk through our town centre. Like many towns and cities, we are looking at innovative ways in which to attract people of all ages back into our town centre.” Luke Egan and Pete Hamilton Aka Filthy Luker and Pedro Estrellas are the inspirational artists behind Designs in Air - a pioneering inflatable design company from the UK. The artists create spectacular illuminated inflatable sculptures and thought-provoking urban art installations that always raise a smile and a crowd. Their giant surreal sculptures have taken over city streets and skylines and have been featured at major events and exhibitions around the world. Luke Egan said: “Our aim is to make the world a more surreal and colourful place. We hope to get people to look up from their phones and do the double take Our sculptures can instantly transform an everyday scene into a strange new one - the mundane and normal into the abnormal, so if you’re not expecting it, it can really take you by surprise” He added: “I love getting to travel and come to exciting events in passionate places - like this and meeting enthusiastic people who encourage us and work hard to make great stuff happen. “I must thank Croydon BID for this one, they have been wonderful champions of our work. The great thing is everyone gets to see our work for free. Art is an international language and we try our best to appeal to all cultures, all types of people.” Over the years Design In Air have produced many acclaimed works for shows and events with clients such as the 2012 Olympics, The Eden Project and Cirque du Soleil. The company is regularly featured at international urban art events and music festivals such as Fuji Rock festival in Japan, Lollapalooza in the USA and Germany and Glastonbury Festival in the UK. Look up if you dare!
For further information, please contact:
Matthew Sims, Chief Executive or Shaun Webster, Head of Operations: Croydon Business Improvement District (BID),Saffron House, Third Floor, 15 Park Street, Croydon, CR0 1YD T: 020 8603 0053E: firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com
Notes to Editors:
- We’ve been at the heart of Croydon town centre for the past 15 years, putting the interests and priorities of the local business community first. With backing from 500+ organisations across the retail, commercial, leisure, hospitality and public sectors, we were set up to help make a real difference to the town, by introducing initiatives and much-needed services that would not otherwise exist.
- Our vision is for Croydon to become one of the most sustainable, welcoming, vibrant and culturally diverse locations in south London in which to do business, work, live and visit.
- Business Improvement Districts (BID) are independent business-led, business-funded organisations formed to improve a defined commercial area. A BID is established statutorily once elected by a majority of business owners in the area and can only operate for a maximum term of five years before seeking re-election by eligible voters. BIDs are not-for-profit organisations financed principally through a small, compulsory annual levy paid by businesses in the BID area, based on rateable value.
- Designs in Air are a pioneering inflatable design company who create original inflatable sculptures and spectacular installations that have been featured at many major events and exhibitions around the world.
- Working with a dedicated team of specialist machinists, riggers and technicians the company love to create large inflatable displays in diverse locations.
- Design In Air inflatable gallery: https://www.designsinair.com/gallery-inflatable-sculptures/
- Further information on Luke Egan ‘Filthy Luker’: https://www.filthyluker.org/