BATTERSEA POWER STATION UNVEILS CHIMNEY LIFT EXPERIENCE AND MAJOR NEW EVENT SPACES FOR LONDON
Battersea Power Station today unveils a major new London attraction, a glass elevator which will travel 109 metres to the top of one of the iconic chimneys. On opening, it will offer visitors unrivalled views of the capital's skyline from one of the most unique viewing platforms in London.
The Chimney Lift is one of three new and exciting event/attraction spaces on offer inside the iconic Power Station. Once complete, these latest additions will sit alongside the many shops, restaurants and office spaces within the Power Station when it opens to the public in 2021, and thus further enhancing the project’s position as a new London destination.
- The Chimney Lift: will provide visitors with the unique experience of travelling up the interior of the north-west chimney in a custom-built glass elevator which emerges at the 109 metres high summit as a viewing platform, offering breathtaking 360° panoramic vistas across the capital and into the Home Counties
- The Venue:a significant addition to London's event infrastructure, it will feature a series of core and connected spaces, attracting thousands of visitors each year. The space has the flexibility to host a wide variety of cultural events ranging from live music, product launches, fashion shows, conferences, dinners and other entertainment. The Event Box, the main space, can hold up to 1,500 people
- Control Room A: a magnificent and rare example of a complete 1930s Art Deco interior, and overlooking the Turbine Hall through a series of bay windows and balconies, the 250-person capacity immersive space will form a unique backdrop for a wide range of events either in conjunction with or separately from The Event Box. Control Room A contained the equipment necessary to monitor the electrical output of the Power Station when it was operational and became famous by featuring in films such as The King’s Speech and Monty Python
Battersea Power Station is working closely with a wide collection of heritage and emerging retail brands from the UK and across the globe to complement its vision for the 1930s and 1950s turbine halls and looks forward to announcing some of the brands that will also be calling the Power Station their home in the coming months.
Apple has already pre-let 500,000 sq ft of office space for its new London Campus within the building, which will sit next door to business members club, No18, which has pre-let 40,000 sq ft of office space.
Battersea Power Station is set to become one of the most exciting new neighourhoods and a new shopping and leisure destination for Central London. It will also be connected by a new Zone 1 London Underground station on the Northern Line and the MBNA Thames Clippers River Bus which has been running since last year.
The first phase of the wider redevelopment, Circus West Village, is already open with more than a thousand residents living here and over a million people having visited the variety of independent restaurants, shops, bars and leisure facilities that have opened. The Village Hall, a 5,000 sq ft community arts and cultural venue is open and currently used for a wide range of events. The Power Station is due for completion in late 2020, with it opening to the public in 2021.
Andrew Hilston, Head of Leasing at Battersea Power Station Development Company (BPSDC), said: “On behalf of our Shareholders, we are very excited to announce a series of thrilling lifestyle, entertainment and attraction spaces, and to launch our search for commercial partners who share our vision for Battersea Power Station.
“These unique spaces are central to our plans that will make Battersea Power Station one of London’s most exciting destinations. Having already engaged with a number of prospective partners, we are confident the market shares our enthusiasm for the new spaces, and we’re looking forward to selecting partners that can deliver real vibrancy, animation and soul to the development.”
The selection process is being managed by international venue experts, IPW. For more information or to speak to a member of the Battersea Power Station Leasing Team please visit: batterseapowerstation.co.uk.This is an exciting opportunity for experienced and expert operators to partner in the delivery of a landmark development project in the heart of London.
Follow @BatterseaPwrStn to keep up with the latest news and events at Battersea Power Station and visit batterseapowerstation.co.uk to find out more.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Press Office, Battersea Power Station Development Company
T: +44 (0) 20 7062 1870
Notes to editors:
About Battersea Power Station:
- Battersea Power Station is one of central London’s largest, most visionary and eagerly anticipated new town centres in which roughly half the development will consist of shops, restaurants and office space. In addition, there will be a six-acre public park, a town square and a new tube station (scheduled to be within Zone 1).
- The Battersea Power Station project covers 42 acres and includes 3.5m sq ft of mixed commercial space, together with 4,239 new homes.
- The successful regeneration of Battersea Power Station will create 20,000 new jobs, inject £20bn into the UK economy and create a funding mechanism for the first major tube line extension since the Millennium. A new NHS medical facility is also being built.
- The Battersea Power Station Foundation supports local charities and community projects. Over £4.5m has been awarded since it launched in 2016; the largest grant awarded was to Battersea Arts Centre for £305,000.
- Circus West Village is the first phase of the development that opened to the public in Spring 2017 and forms the heart of the neighbourhood, providing a mix of new shops and restaurants, as well as an ongoing programme of events that have been enjoyed by over a million people so far.
- Residents started to move in to Circus West early in 2017 and continue to do so. The Village Hall, a new performance space, has opened at Circus West Village and a new MBNA Thames Clippers River Bus service commenced last year
- The Battersea Academy of Skills Excellence (BASE), the development company’s bespoke jobs and training service created for those living locally, was launched in 2016. It is focused on matching people with jobs at Battersea as well as providing training relevant to the job pipeline at the development.
- Battersea Power Station is owned by a consortium of Malaysian investors comprised of S P Setia, Sime Darby Property and the Employees’ Provident Fund. Management of the development is being undertaken by the British-based Battersea Power Station Development Company.